Firstly, this is not a commercial website in any way.
However, every website you visit from next year onwards must now have a page like this, explaining how data is accessed, stored, used, etc. Under new legislation coming into force next year, any site that does not provide this information will be breaking the law and subject to massive fines.
I do use the running of this website in part to help me learn how to put a website together, and what helps people find a particular page or a particular piece of information. I had never put a WordPress website together before my attempts at this one, so the learning curve has been necessarily very steep.
So, to the formal information now required by law…
The following information comprises both the standard clauses for data use, which I am legally obliged to set out on this website under EU GDPR legislation (2018), and some clauses that are specific to this website.
Please read the following carefully to understand what information we may collect, how we may use it, and your rights in respect of our use.
By continuing to use this website, you are accepting these terms.
The website owner does not accept any liability that may arise from using or downloading information from this website.
The website owner does not accept any liability that may arise from using or downloading information from other websites that users may visit by following a link, recommendation, or other form of citation on this website.
Information we may collect from you
We do not require visitors to reveal any personal information in order to access our website. However, we collect and process the following personal information when you fill in the contact form:
- This includes, but is not limited to, information provided at the time of registering for further information – when we reply to your contact by email, for example, or when you sign up to receive a notification of website updates. For these purposes only, we may retain a record of your name, address, telephone number, email address, and/or other contact information that you may choose to share with us.
- If you contact us by email we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may collect details of visits to our site, including, but not limited to, the resources that are accessed. These details are not personally identifiable.
- We may publish anonymised extracts from email comments, but these will not be linkable to an individual person, unless prior permission has been sought and granted in writing by email.
- We may publish thanks to, or other types of notes and information about, identifiable individuals on this website. We will always ask permission first. This material will not be published on the site unless prior permission has been sought and granted in writing by email. You may change your mind at any time and contact us in writing by email to have this information removed. This request will be met within 28 days.
- We may publish photographs of individuals who have been involved in the research for this website, or photographs of individuals attending events linked to this research and this website. You may contact us in writing by email to have this information removed at any time. This request will be met within 28 days.
IP addresses and cookies
From any point after entering this website, information may be collected about the computer used, including, where available, the IP address, operating system type, and browser type, for the purposes of system administration and website optimisation. This information provides statistical data about browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify an individual.
Google Analytics, JetPack, and WordPress may also collect cookies during the time this website is in use. In summary, these cookies enable us to carry out the following:
- Track the pages visited and the total number of visits to the website
- Track how long a visitor spends on any page within the website
- Track how visitors have been visiting the website
- Track how visitors came to access the website, including keyword searches, search engine information, or referrer
There is more information on Google Analytics use here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage
These cookies allow us to count page visits and traffic sources (provided by WordPress, JetPack, and Google Analytics), so we can measure and improve the performance of our site. They do not contain personally identifiable information.
This site also provides links to other websites, downloads, links, and pages. You must check the policies of any sites you chose to visit and take action that is appropriate to your use if you chose to visit those sites.
EU anti-spam laws
We do not send out spam, nor sell on, nor otherwise financially benefit from any information gained as outlined above, but to conform with EU anti-spam laws, we must confirm here that you may opt out of further contact at any time – please just let us know by email. Your details will be deleted with 28 days.